The software engineering major is one of the College of Engineering’s most recent specializations in the current era, and its emergence coincided with the beginning of the modern era of technology, as this major came to meet the requirements of this era from designing systems and software, modifying them, and constantly solving their problems, leading to the creation of modern physical devices such as laptops and tablets. And the smartphone and other technologies that have altered the course of history.
But what exactly is a major in software engineering? What topics are covered in this major? How many years have you studied? What roles will this specialty play after graduation? Are software engineers really paid the most in the world? All of this and more will be revealed in the following table of contents:
- An overview of the software engineering major
- Software engineering departments
- The number of years of studying software engineering
- Subjects taught in the software engineering major
- Percentage of demand for software engineering major
- Pros of majoring in software engineering
- Disadvantages of majoring in software engineering
- Fields of work in software engineering after graduation
- Software engineer salaries
About the software engineering major:
Software engineering is a growing field. This is due to our heavy reliance on software in our daily lives, as this specialization is one of the strongest branches of computer science.
It is one of the branches of modern engineering science concerned with designing and developing software in a professional and thoughtful manner by following the software development life cycle, which typically begins with understanding the customer’s requirements, then analyzing them, designing the program, testing it, and fixing any problems or malfunctions, if any, before progressing to the stage of documenting the program, producing it, and persevering. This program is maintainable, and it contains a set of executable code that is supported by documented software libraries.
What are the major departments of software engineering?
The software engineering major is divided into several departments, which are as follows:
- artificial intelligence
- computer systems and networks
- computer information systems
- Data science
- Application programming
- And many other departments that differ from one university to another.
Number of years studying software engineering:
The software engineering major requires four years of study. These years include theoretical materials as well as practical projects with difficulty levels ranging from medium to high. The final year of study also includes a graduation project, which is typically the development of a system for an organization to perform a number of functions, or the development of a website with specific features, or something similar.
Subjects taught in the software engineering major:
First academic year:
- Several mathematics subjects (algebra, analysis, probability)
- General introduction to physics
- General introduction to chemistry
- Fundamentals of computer principles
- Fundamentals of programming science
- Fundamentals of data structures
Second academic year:
- Programming languages (Java, Python…)
- computer systems
- Data forms
- Design and analysis of algorithms
- Software engineering analysis
- Design basics
- Data management systems
Third academic year:
- IT project management
- data overlay
- software security
- Operating Systems
- Architectural programming
- artificial intelligence
Fourth academic year:
- visual programming
- Internet programming
- Non-technical aspects of engineering
- Code validation
- multimedia programming
- Information and network security
- Human interaction with the computer
The years of study, particularly the third and fourth years, typically include practical projects inside or outside the university to strengthen students in practical fields and build realistic experience in real projects that qualify them for suitable job opportunities after graduation.
Percentage of demand for software engineering major: The demand for software engineering major is constantly increasing, and this is due to the high demand for software engineers throughout the world, as the demand for software engineers increased in the years 2017-2018 only to more than 32%, as there were more than 1,365,500 job opportunities for software engineers in 2018, and these numbers are constantly increasing, as this specialty is known as the specialty o
Pros of software engineering major:
- Salaries for software engineers around the world are generally high.
- It provides a large number of job opportunities in the field of software engineering
- This field has a wide range of job opportunities.
- An engineer’s ability to solve many problems that the average person cannot.
- Knowledge of good and bad systems and programs, as well as the ability to distinguish between them, is required of software engineers.
- After graduation, the engineer does not require a large sum of money to enter the labor market.
- The loss percentage in this area is very low.
- The ability of the software engineer to foster a cooperative spirit in teamwork.
- The software engineer gains the advantage of being able to think creatively.
- The software engineer keeps pace with all developments and updates affecting the technology environment every day.
- Every day, the software engineer keeps up with all of the technological developments and updates.
- The software engineer has a difficult to control personality and is immune to attempts to mislead and deceive that can affect large segments of society, particularly in technical and electronic aspects.
- A software engineer’s understanding of the impact of technology on our daily lives, as well as his ability to use it effectively and positively, are essential.
- After gaining sufficient experience in his field, a software engineer can advance to a managerial position as a project leader or team leader.
- A software engineer can work from anywhere; all he needs is a computer, and a software engineer in Turkey can collaborate with a company in the United States of America without having to travel.
- The possibility of a software engineer finding work in major corporations such as Google, Microsoft, or Facebook, among others.
Disadvantages of a software engineering major:
- Workplace stress and pressure.
- As a result of using the computer for extended periods of time, you may develop health issues such as back pain and eye fatigue.
- Work routines are similar.
- Work long and continuous hours, as the software engineer must work approximately 40 hours per week and may be required to work on holidays if a project is to be completed.
- To achieve the success you desire in this specialty, you must work hard.
- The engineer had to deal with a wide range of clients and their various requests, which required him to remain calm and restrained.
After graduation, the following jobs are available to software engineering majors:
Graduates of the software engineering major can work in any area related to the design, development, engineering, and maintenance of computer software, including:
- Systems Analyst.
- Systems and software developer.
- systems designer.
- Systems and software maintenance engineer.
- Database manager.
- software tester
- Computer game programmer
- IT services support specialist
- Specialist in information security protection
- Computer research specialist
- Information systems analyst
- software tester
- Computer teacher
- Database manager
- Digital protection officer
- Networks and communications specialist
- IT projects manager
- Website developer
- Computer lab supervisor
- In the fields of artificial intelligence and augmented reality
Salary of software engineers:
The software engineering major is distinguished by its high salaries, as three software engineering professions occupied the top ten positions in a study to determine the professions with the highest salaries in the world.
A software engineer’s annual salary is approximately $96,620, according to US News and World Report. This salary varies according to the software engineer’s experience, work environment, working hours, and other factors.
The most important private Turkish universities that offer software engineering majors in English:
- Bahcesehir University
- Istanbul Altınbaş University
- Nisantasi University
- Istanbul Okan University
- Istanbul Aydin University
- Ishik University
- Uskudar University
To learn about more options, you can contact the consulting team at the education portal
Why should you select the education portal to assist you with your application to study software engineering in Turkey?
As official agents for private universities in Turkey, we do not charge students any fees for our services.
We will provide you with tuition fee discounts of up to 75%.
Obtaining a student transportation card, which will provide you with a 60% discount on public transportation expenses.
Providing a variety of housing options and dormitories at various price points to accommodate all types of students.
Providing all necessary guidance and assistance in completing the legal procedures for amending the secondary certificate, residency procedures, and health insurance.
We will walk with you through the registration process and throughout your university career to help you achieve stability.
Contact us via WhatsApp to register for and inquire about software engineering programs at private universities in Turkey, as well as to receive the best tuition fee discounts available.